Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Checking Off Those States...

Quick update on the tornadoes we saw Saturday in Kansas...  The wind turbine one was an EF3!  We were less than 3km away from an EF3 tornado.   Saturday was the best day of my life.  I said that and Ronan just looks at me and smiles.  Seeing that EF3 was the most beautiful display of power and nature.Part of me wants to describe it as roller coaster of emotions, but I don't think that's quite accurate because yes you feel all sorts of emotions but you feel them all at once.  You are in awe of this incredible structure, proud of yourself for finding one, your heart drops into your stomach the second you see the debris cloud explode at the base, charged with energy and adrenaline, a little fear because of the lightning and huge chunks of metal and wood falling around you...There's so much.  I saw a shirt on another chaser that said "Mother nature is a moody bitch" and boy that is sure true.  It's really incredible and my blood is literally boiling for more.  http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=ict&storyid=83274&source=0




So Sunday was a long day of driving as was Monday.  We made it up to South Dakota yesterday and today I am posting from on the road in North Dakota.  Really keeping our fingers, toes, and appendages crossed today because so far the models are looking better than ever for supercells.  Besides tornadoes obviously, my favorite part of this trip has been seeing our beautiful country.  Not only the landscape but the people.  I sound a little corny but for someone who hasn't traveled much, this has been an amazing journey.  Chasing is a blast.  It's completely exhausting mentally and physically.  But it's absolutely incredible seeing all these small towns, meeting people and hearing their stories.  I've never been one for the whole bleed red, white and blue stuff but this truly makes me realize how amazing our country and the people who live here are.  We have so much diversity and yet everyone finds their own little niche.   It's such a big place, USA but it just works.  Sure there are problems and tough times but people are good.  I really believe that.  We ate lunch in the tiny town of Bassett, NE at this old diner and and lodge from 1949.  It was a little family business on the main drag through town and we completely overwhelmed them.  They didn't even have enough menus for us but it kinda made me feel to good to think of the business we were giving them.  And the lodge was absolutely adorable.  I would love to be able to come back and spend a night there, maybe go horseback riding through the northern Nebraska hills.  Simply gorgeous.


And for all my storm chasers fans, we ran into the Dominator and TVN crew today at a gas station in North Dakota (although I think TIV and the Sean-Brandon-Ronan crew is much better!!)


Old fashioned telephone booth in the hotel in Bassett, NE




Ran into the Dominator and TVN team in North Dakota.  Got to see a friend of mine chasing with them this summer :)



No comments:

Post a Comment